Recommendations for Cintiq alternatives ?

To talk about anything else
Soldiershak
Posts: 6
Joined: 29 Oct 2019, 21:39

Re: Recommendations for Cintiq alternatives ?

Post by Soldiershak » 02 Jul 2021, 21:09

Are there plans for TVpaint on Android to become a serious thing or is it still in market experimentation phase? I'd be happy even if the mobile version was more like a companion app that lacked some of the advanced feature on the to the desktop version, I just want to be able to draw the frames and finish them off on my desktop, it doesn't have to be a 1 to 1 port at the moment, either way thanks for creating such great software and finally doing away with the dongles, it was a pain to use on my mobile studio pro

User avatar
D.T. Nethery
Posts: 3109
Joined: 27 Sep 2006, 19:19

Re: Recommendations for Cintiq alternatives ?

Post by D.T. Nethery » 02 Jul 2021, 22:43

Soldiershak wrote:
02 Jul 2021, 21:09
Are there plans for TVpaint on Android to become a serious thing or is it still in market experimentation phase?

TVPaint is fully functional on Android. It's only since the release of Android 11 that there is a system conflict which prevents TVPaint from running on Android 11. It works fine on Android 10 and previous versions.

I had a Galaxy Note tablet several years ago that had TVPaint running on it. I no longer have the Galaxy Note tablet , but last time I used it with TVPaint it was working fine. (fully functional). I might get another Android Tablet at some point , but I am leaning towards getting an iPad Pro. (but not to use with TVPaint , which doesn't currently run on iOS . Maybe someday ? But I'm not counting on it. For now there are other animation apps that run on iOS (Rough Animator or Callipeg) that I can use to animate with on the iPad ,then import my drawings to my computer to finish in my full desktop version of TVPaint.

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MAC OS 10.14.6 , Macbook Pro Retina 15-inch, Late 2013,
2.3 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB Memory , TVPaint PRO 11.5.2 - 64bit ,
Wacom Cintiq 21 UX ,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1

User avatar
Sloppytoons
Posts: 49
Joined: 09 Sep 2018, 15:22

Re: Recommendations for Cintiq alternatives ?

Post by Sloppytoons » 05 Jul 2021, 03:39

D.T. Nethery wrote:
02 Jul 2021, 22:43
Soldiershak wrote:
02 Jul 2021, 21:09
Are there plans for TVpaint on Android to become a serious thing or is it still in market experimentation phase?

TVPaint is fully functional on Android. It's only since the release of Android 11 that there is a system conflict which prevents TVPaint from running on Android 11. It works fine on Android 10 and previous versions.

I had a Galaxy Note tablet several years ago that had TVPaint running on it. I no longer have the Galaxy Note tablet , but last time I used it with TVPaint it was working fine. (fully functional). I might get another Android Tablet at some point , but I am leaning towards getting an iPad Pro. (but not to use with TVPaint , which doesn't currently run on iOS . Maybe someday ? But I'm not counting on it. For now there are other animation apps that run on iOS (Rough Animator or Callipeg) that I can use to animate with on the iPad ,then import my drawings to my computer to finish in my full desktop version of TVPaint.
I'm not sure if it's out of beta yet, but Callipeg lets you import and export TVpaint Json files, so you can jump between Tvpaint and iPad now. The apps are a bit too different in my opinion. I rather just jump between the same thing.

I'm an addict to these things though. I have the M1 iPad Pro, but recently bought the Tab s7 (as the tabs 6lite has a horrible screen that ghosts too much). I honestly can't pick between the two. At gun point it's the iPad, but when you drawing clean frames, the sharper tip of the S-pen is better. And when I have a big TVpaint project I switch to my Galaxy. Right now I really like Callipeg, even though it's still rather buggy to the point I get nervous doing bigger projects.
My regular IG account: Sloppybunnytoons

User avatar
D.T. Nethery
Posts: 3109
Joined: 27 Sep 2006, 19:19

Re: Recommendations for Cintiq alternatives ?

Post by D.T. Nethery » 06 Jul 2021, 03:59

Sloppytoons wrote:
05 Jul 2021, 03:39
recently bought the Tab s7 . I honestly can't pick between the two. At gun point it's the iPad, but when you are drawing clean frames, the sharper tip of the S-pen is better. And when I have a big TVpaint project I switch to my Galaxy.
When you received the Galaxy Tab s7 did it already have Android 11 installed , so you stepped back to Android 10 ? (to run TVPaint)
Was it easy to step back to Android 10 ? The price on the Galaxy Tab s7 is certainly attractive compared to the iPad Pro 12.9 (5th gen).

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MAC OS 10.14.6 , Macbook Pro Retina 15-inch, Late 2013,
2.3 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB Memory , TVPaint PRO 11.5.2 - 64bit ,
Wacom Cintiq 21 UX ,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1

User avatar
Sloppytoons
Posts: 49
Joined: 09 Sep 2018, 15:22

Re: Recommendations for Cintiq alternatives ?

Post by Sloppytoons » 07 Jul 2021, 05:42

D.T. Nethery wrote:
06 Jul 2021, 03:59
Sloppytoons wrote:
05 Jul 2021, 03:39
recently bought the Tab s7 . I honestly can't pick between the two. At gun point it's the iPad, but when you are drawing clean frames, the sharper tip of the S-pen is better. And when I have a big TVpaint project I switch to my Galaxy.
When you received the Galaxy Tab s7 did it already have Android 11 installed , so you stepped back to Android 10 ? (to run TVPaint)
Was it easy to step back to Android 10 ? The price on the Galaxy Tab s7 is certainly attractive compared to the iPad Pro 12.9 (5th gen).
Yeah, Sadly mine already had Android 11, and didn't downgrade it. I'm tempted, but the guys seem pretty adamant they'll get around it, so I'll just do my rough animator tiktoks with it for now.

My experience is from my Tab s3 and Tab S 6lite versions. And TV paint ran great on those. I did a big job on the Tab s6 lite and killed the screen, with half the TVpaint UI burning in. I hope the Tabs7 screen will last longer. Didn't go with the plus, as my Note 8 got some ugly red burn in too, and looking up online OLED burn in is common (Which the tab s6 lite isn't)

I use Affinity designer a lot, so I can't not work with the iPad. If you need TVpaint, and think Procreate is over rated, and you can do the same quality drawings in Infity painter or Artflow. The Galaxy Tab might be the choice for you.

The one negative on Samsung is my experience of long term screen durability. I'm on my 4th Samsung device. If my S7 screen can't last me 2 years, I think I'm done with them. The Tab S3 was the only Samsung device I had where the screen was as good when I sold it as to when I bought it.
My regular IG account: Sloppybunnytoons

User avatar
D.T. Nethery
Posts: 3109
Joined: 27 Sep 2006, 19:19

Re: Recommendations for Cintiq alternatives ?

Post by D.T. Nethery » 05 Aug 2021, 16:12

Sloppytoons wrote:
05 Jul 2021, 03:39

I'm not sure if it's out of beta yet, but Callipeg lets you import and export TVpaint Json files, so you can jump between Tvpaint and iPad now.
Yes, I did read that Callipeg has the ability to export projects with layer structure preserved to a JSON file. TVPaint will export to JSON , but I don't know of an option to import a JSON file into TVPaint. (from another app like Callipeg). How to do that ?

I am asking because I finally stopped hesitating between iPad Pro vs. Samsung s7 and purchased the iPad Pro 12.9 . I should have it delivered today.

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MAC OS 10.14.6 , Macbook Pro Retina 15-inch, Late 2013,
2.3 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB Memory , TVPaint PRO 11.5.2 - 64bit ,
Wacom Cintiq 21 UX ,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1

User avatar
D.T. Nethery
Posts: 3109
Joined: 27 Sep 2006, 19:19

Re: Recommendations for Cintiq alternatives ?

Post by D.T. Nethery » 07 Aug 2021, 01:08

D.T. Nethery wrote:
05 Aug 2021, 16:12
Sloppytoons wrote:
05 Jul 2021, 03:39

I'm not sure if it's out of beta yet, but Callipeg lets you import and export TVpaint Json files, so you can jump between Tvpaint and iPad now.
Yes, I did read that Callipeg has the ability to export projects with layer structure preserved to a JSON file. TVPaint will export to JSON , but I don't know of an option to import a JSON file into TVPaint. (from another app like Callipeg). How to do that ?

I am asking because I finally stopped hesitating between iPad Pro vs. Samsung s7 and purchased the iPad Pro 12.9 . I should have it delivered today.

Well, I'm one day into using the iPad Pro with the Apple Pencil 2 and so far I like it for drawing (apart from drawing ,it's also quite an elegant interface for doing whatever else it is you do on a computer - emailing, navigating the internet , watching videos, checking the calendar, etc.)

I haven't done any heavy duty drawing with it , yet , just noodling around. I've tried it with Callipeg (I like very much what I've tried so far with Callipeg) and drawing with Autodesk Sketchbook , Photoshop , and ProCreate. ProCreate is the clear winner for drawing and painting on the iPad . I can understand why it is so popular. I am still getting used to the experience of not using keyboard shortcuts or Wacom express keys ... in the iPad world you "tap" or "tap with two fingers" or "tap with three fingers" , or "swipe with two fingers", "swipe with three fingers" , etc. to activate functions you would usually do with a keyboard shortcut or a Wacom express key on a desktop computer. You can pair a bluetooth keyboard to the iPad to use keyboard shortcuts , but I haven't tried that yet . (my bluetooth keyboard is paired to my main Mac workstation, so because I had to work yesterday and today I could not unpair the keyboard from my main workstation. This weekend I'll spend more time with the iPad.

The drawing surface of the iPad is very slick -- "drawing on glass" -- so I think a screen protector is definitely in order . I have the "PaperLike" screen protector. Haven't applied it yet . They recommend applying it in a "dust free environment" (who has that ?) , so I'm trying to see if I can get a local computer repair service to apply the screen protector for me in their clean room.

But the experience drawing with the Apple Pencil is definitely superior to the Wacom Cintiq Stylus. There is no detectable offset. Very much like drawing with a pencil (or a pen) on paper ... except that the paper is like a sheet of glass (or a cel, for you old-timer animators). I'm told that using the "PaperLike" screen protector improves the experience. That will be my goal this weekend, to get the screen protector installed, to see if it really feels like that elusive "drawing on paper". The screen resolution of the iPad is excellent. Zooming-in to draw details feels equivalent to using a larger Cintiq screen , because the iPad's resolution is higher. (2732 x 2048-pixel resolution at 264 pixels per inch) . So even though I'm drawing within a smaller physical area than on my Cintiq 21" screen , it feels the same or better on the smaller iPad 12" screen. I briefly got to test a Cintiq 32" screen which is 3840 x 2160 resolution. That was amazing. But I can't afford it.

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MAC OS 10.14.6 , Macbook Pro Retina 15-inch, Late 2013,
2.3 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB Memory , TVPaint PRO 11.5.2 - 64bit ,
Wacom Cintiq 21 UX ,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1

User avatar
Sloppytoons
Posts: 49
Joined: 09 Sep 2018, 15:22

Re: Recommendations for Cintiq alternatives ?

Post by Sloppytoons » 10 Aug 2021, 15:19

D.T. Nethery wrote:
07 Aug 2021, 01:08
D.T. Nethery wrote:
05 Aug 2021, 16:12
Sloppytoons wrote:
05 Jul 2021, 03:39

I'm not sure if it's out of beta yet, but Callipeg lets you import and export TVpaint Json files, so you can jump between Tvpaint and iPad now.
Yes, I did read that Callipeg has the ability to export projects with layer structure preserved to a JSON file. TVPaint will export to JSON , but I don't know of an option to import a JSON file into TVPaint. (from another app like Callipeg). How to do that ?

I am asking because I finally stopped hesitating between iPad Pro vs. Samsung s7 and purchased the iPad Pro 12.9 . I should have it delivered today.

Well, I'm one day into using the iPad Pro with the Apple Pencil 2 and so far I like it for drawing (apart from drawing ,it's also quite an elegant interface for doing whatever else it is you do on a computer - emailing, navigating the internet , watching videos, checking the calendar, etc.)

I haven't done any heavy duty drawing with it , yet , just noodling around. I've tried it with Callipeg (I like very much what I've tried so far with Callipeg) and drawing with Autodesk Sketchbook , Photoshop , and ProCreate. ProCreate is the clear winner for drawing and painting on the iPad . I can understand why it is so popular. I am still getting used to the experience of not using keyboard shortcuts or Wacom express keys ... in the iPad world you "tap" or "tap with two fingers" or "tap with three fingers" , or "swipe with two fingers", "swipe with three fingers" , etc. to activate functions you would usually do with a keyboard shortcut or a Wacom express key on a desktop computer. You can pair a bluetooth keyboard to the iPad to use keyboard shortcuts , but I haven't tried that yet . (my bluetooth keyboard is paired to my main Mac workstation, so because I had to work yesterday and today I could not unpair the keyboard from my main workstation. This weekend I'll spend more time with the iPad.

The drawing surface of the iPad is very slick -- "drawing on glass" -- so I think a screen protector is definitely in order . I have the "PaperLike" screen protector. Haven't applied it yet . They recommend applying it in a "dust free environment" (who has that ?) , so I'm trying to see if I can get a local computer repair service to apply the screen protector for me in their clean room.

But the experience drawing with the Apple Pencil is definitely superior to the Wacom Cintiq Stylus. There is no detectable offset. Very much like drawing with a pencil (or a pen) on paper ... except that the paper is like a sheet of glass (or a cel, for you old-timer animators). I'm told that using the "PaperLike" screen protector improves the experience. That will be my goal this weekend, to get the screen protector installed, to see if it really feels like that elusive "drawing on paper". The screen resolution of the iPad is excellent. Zooming-in to draw details feels equivalent to using a larger Cintiq screen , because the iPad's resolution is higher. (2732 x 2048-pixel resolution at 264 pixels per inch) . So even though I'm drawing within a smaller physical area than on my Cintiq 21" screen , it feels the same or better on the smaller iPad 12" screen. I briefly got to test a Cintiq 32" screen which is 3840 x 2160 resolution. That was amazing. But I can't afford it.
I do beta testing with Callipeg so sometimes, I get some of the features early. There are still some bugs with the JSON files being thrown between the two softwares, but it's getting better.

I'm very hesitant about paperlike, a friend of mine from life drawing had it. Took it off after half a year as his nibs kept wearing off. I just like the glass feeling personally, so haven't tried it, and his experience was a turn off, and the friction stuff didn't do much for me. I liked the S-pen better with the rubber tip, but the wear got to me on that, so I replaced it with a plastic nib on the Galaxy tab too.
My regular IG account: Sloppybunnytoons

User avatar
neonnoodle
Posts: 237
Joined: 22 Dec 2010, 14:17
Location: Boston, MA
Contact:

Re: Recommendations for Cintiq alternatives ?

Post by neonnoodle » 10 Aug 2021, 16:07

I have an iCarez brand matte screen protector for my (first-generation) 12.9" iPad Pro. I installed it first thing when I bought the iPad and it has held up very well and has a pleasant drawing surface texture. It hasn't worn down the stylus nibs as far as I can tell, I have only replaced my nib once in the 5-6 years since I bought the iPad.

User avatar
D.T. Nethery
Posts: 3109
Joined: 27 Sep 2006, 19:19

Re: Recommendations for Cintiq alternatives ?

Post by D.T. Nethery » 11 Aug 2021, 00:49

I do like to have some resistance , a bit of "texture" , when I'm drawing, so with the Cintiq I use the Wacom "felt tip" fiber nibs, which I wear out frequently. They are about $5.00 for five nibs. Looks like I can get four Apple Pencil replacement tips for around $15.00 for a pack of four on Amazon , so more than 3x the cost of replacing a Wacom felt tip nib. I guess it depends how frequently the Apple Pencil tips wear down when using the textured screen protector. I wonder if any third-party company has made a Apple Pencil tip that has a "rougher" pencil feel ?

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MAC OS 10.14.6 , Macbook Pro Retina 15-inch, Late 2013,
2.3 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB Memory , TVPaint PRO 11.5.2 - 64bit ,
Wacom Cintiq 21 UX ,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1

User avatar
animancer
Posts: 2
Joined: 27 Aug 2021, 11:10

Re: Recommendations for Cintiq alternatives ?

Post by animancer » 30 Aug 2021, 10:36

Another vote for PaperLike. It was the first purchase - after my iPad and a new stylus ofc - and it feels really nice. I tried some cheaper protective screens before (I won't even bother trying to recall the brands), but this one really improved the drawing experience for me. I was surprised at how much difference it made. So you should probably give it a try.
D.T. Nethery wrote:
11 Aug 2021, 00:49
I wonder if any third-party company has made a Apple Pencil tip that has a "rougher" pencil feel ?
Now I'm interested as well.
I don't really like to deal with stores on platforms such as aliexpress, but if anyone ordered rougher tips and still has a link - it'd be nice. Unfortunately, a rougher surface hastens the deterioration, so for me it's a real problem.
I still have a bad habit of pressuring too hard.

User avatar
D.T. Nethery
Posts: 3109
Joined: 27 Sep 2006, 19:19

Re: Recommendations for Cintiq alternatives ?

Post by D.T. Nethery » 18 Oct 2021, 17:58

Here's another Cintiq alternative:

Gaomon PD156 PRO - https://www.gaomon.net/Pen_Display/PD156PRO.html

Does anyone from TVPaint Development Co. know if the Gaomon PD156 PRO is compatible with TVPaint ?
(or have any of the other users here ever used the Gaomon PD156 PRO with TVPaint?)

I have a student who has a Gaomon PD156 PRO and would like to know if it will work ok with TVPaint.

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MAC OS 10.14.6 , Macbook Pro Retina 15-inch, Late 2013,
2.3 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB Memory , TVPaint PRO 11.5.2 - 64bit ,
Wacom Cintiq 21 UX ,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1

User avatar
BillyHadaTVPaint
Posts: 3
Joined: 26 Oct 2021, 05:59

Re: Recommendations for Cintiq alternatives ?

Post by BillyHadaTVPaint » 03 Nov 2021, 05:20

I was going to go with the Kamvas, If I grab it ill report back here with the results
La La La, the ding ding rings with color

User avatar
Xavier
Site Admin
Posts: 1264
Joined: 01 Oct 2019, 11:08

Re: Recommendations for Cintiq alternatives ?

Post by Xavier » 03 Nov 2021, 11:18

D.T. Nethery wrote:
18 Oct 2021, 17:58
Does anyone from TVPaint Development Co. know if the Gaomon PD156 PRO is compatible with TVPaint ?
(or have any of the other users here ever used the Gaomon PD156 PRO with TVPaint?)
Sorry no, recently we didn't test many devices except Wacom tablets .
D.T. Nethery wrote:
18 Oct 2021, 17:58
I have a student who has a Gaomon PD156 PRO and would like to know if it will work ok with TVPaint.
Why not try the demo and tell us ?
Bad, bad cow

User avatar
D.T. Nethery
Posts: 3109
Joined: 27 Sep 2006, 19:19

Re: Recommendations for Cintiq alternatives ?

Post by D.T. Nethery » 03 Nov 2021, 21:49

Xavier wrote:
03 Nov 2021, 11:18
D.T. Nethery wrote:
18 Oct 2021, 17:58
Does anyone from TVPaint Development Co. know if the Gaomon PD156 PRO is compatible with TVPaint ?
(or have any of the other users here ever used the Gaomon PD156 PRO with TVPaint?)
Sorry no, recently we didn't test many devices except Wacom tablets .
D.T. Nethery wrote:
18 Oct 2021, 17:58
I have a student who has a Gaomon PD156 PRO and would like to know if it will work ok with TVPaint.
Why not try the demo and tell us ?
She tried it and could not get it to work, but I think she's having a driver/macOS issue with the Gaomon PD156 PRO because she said the stylus was not working properly with any program she tried, not only TVPaint. She is remote , so I can only go by screen shots she sends me . I will try to help her get the correct driver installed via Zoom.

I heard back from Gaomon Tech Support and they said the tablet should work , but did not say specifically they had tested it with TVPaint.

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MAC OS 10.14.6 , Macbook Pro Retina 15-inch, Late 2013,
2.3 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB Memory , TVPaint PRO 11.5.2 - 64bit ,
Wacom Cintiq 21 UX ,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1

Post Reply