Underwater Caustic Effects with Perlin Noise

Show us your drawings and animation made with the TVPaint technology here !
Cardin Collins

Re: Underwater Caustic Effects with Perlin Noise

Post by Cardin Collins » 08 Jan 2020, 16:13

That looks doable. The tricky part, I think, is getting the right combination of turbulence pattern and displacement settings but I think you should be able to achieve the effect you want...

The way I would approach it would be to first create the turbulence using perlin noise or plasma on its own layer. Set it to invisible.

Then, on a duplicate layer of the actual animation clip to be distorted, use Displacement Mapping (under Distortion)and set the Source as the turbulence layer that you created. Since the turbulence layer is hidden, only its effects on the animation will be visible.
TVPaint PRO 11.0.8 (64bit)
1 - Desktop: Intel Core i7-3770K CPU 3.5GHz, GeForce GTX 750 Ti, 16 GB, Win 10
2 - Tablet/Laptop: Sony Vaio Flip15a - Intel Core i7 (4th Gen) 4500U / 1.8 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce GT 735M, 16 GB, Win 10

D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery » 08 Jan 2020, 17:17

Cardin Collins wrote:
08 Jan 2020, 16:13

The way I would approach it would be to first create the turbulence using perlin noise or plasma on its own layer. Set it to invisible.

Then, on a duplicate layer of the actual animation clip to be distorted, use Displacement Mapping (under Distortion)and set the Source as the turbulence layer that you created. Since the turbulence layer is hidden, only its effects on the animation will be visible.
Thank you, thank you ! I had missed the step to set the turbulence layer to invisible (inactive). If I get a successful test I'll post it . (the actual project I want to use this effect on is under NDA , so I can't show it , but I will make tests first , which are shareable . I'll try to remember to document each step I take ... I'm not good about doing that , so sometimes I achieve a good effect by trial & error , then if I have to reproduce the same effect six months late I forgot exactly how I did it ... :oops: )

------

UPDATE: Yes, this works. Created the turbulence on it's own layer , then used the perlin noise turbulence as the Source in Displacement Mapping applied to a layer.

------

Here's a second test. This time I did not use Perlin Noise , I used a photo of an actual piece of ripple glass. I had it move across screen from right to left (using KeyFramer) then used it as Source layer in Displacement Mapping applied to the BG layer.

Last edited by D.T. Nethery on 11 Jan 2020, 21:33, edited 2 times in total.
MAC OS 10.12.6 , Macbook Pro Retina 15-inch, Mid 2015,
2.5 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB Memory , TVPaint PRO 11.0.8, 64bit -
Wacom Cintiq 21 UX - Wacom Intuos Pro 5 - driver version 6.3.20-8

D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery » 11 Jan 2020, 19:58

Svengali wrote:
08 Jan 2020, 15:59
David,
You might get something like what you want from the OpticalFlowDeform FX.
sven
Thanks for that suggestion. I'm going to try that next.
MAC OS 10.12.6 , Macbook Pro Retina 15-inch, Mid 2015,
2.5 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB Memory , TVPaint PRO 11.0.8, 64bit -
Wacom Cintiq 21 UX - Wacom Intuos Pro 5 - driver version 6.3.20-8