Animated paper textures

This section is dedicated to the feature & improvement requests (be sure what you are asking does not exist yet in TVPaint Animation ;) )
spyderheart

Animated paper textures

Post by spyderheart » 03 Oct 2018, 19:30

Hi all :)
Is there any concept or plan animated papers in TVPaint?

By this I mean that instead of loading a single paper to be blended with my brush regardless of frame, I would load a sequence of papers. Perhaps the sequence was created by shooting a stack of paper under camera, or perhaps I did it by randomizing the position and rotation of one large texture in After Effects. The brush would simply use a different paper file depending on the frame.

The benefit is that it will feel like you actually used a fresh sheet of paper for each drawing- just like traditional paper. More importantly though, I find the look of a static texture while the strokes and shapes are dynamic to be a very specific aesthetic choice that evokes the notion of rubbings (holding a sheet of paper to a brick wall and filling an area with charcoal, for example, to capture the texture). If the paper were animated - it would feel like more of a default that is the intuitive expectation of an otherwise natural looking drawing sequence.

The sequence of papers would simply loop , randomize, ping pong (or whatever) and the image that is mixed with the brush would be different depending on the frame in which you are currently painting.

There's a script called Animated Paper by Svengali which is essentially an alternative Next Frame/Previous Frame command that also randomizes the position and orientation of the current paper. It's a great solution to workaround the current limitation but the ideal case would be an integrated paper sequence that loads the same way papers do currently - with the simple difference that it automatically loads the appropriate paper, depending on the current frame.

I think this would round out the brush paradigm of TVPaint very nicely while also opening up a very interesting path to explore various types of sequences as textures that evolve across your timeline.
David
--------------------------------------------------------
TVPaint 11 Standard 11.0.8
Macbook Pro Retina 15" mid 2014 // 16GB RAM // 1TB SSD // 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 // NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB // OS 10.12.6 (Sierra)
Wacom Cintiq 13HD Touch // Driver: 6.3.15-2

slowtiger

Re: Animated paper textures

Post by slowtiger » 03 Oct 2018, 19:48

+1.

I needed this for my last film and used this workaround: paint any 3rd frame only, then rotate the paper 30°, paint first unpainted frames, rotate 60°, paint anything left. This was good enough to create the illusion of unlimited paper.
TVP 10.0.18, Mac Pro Quadcore 3 GHz, 16 GB RAM, OS 10.11, QT 7.7.3

spyderheart

Post by spyderheart » 09 Oct 2018, 17:21

slowtiger wrote:
03 Oct 2018, 19:48
+1.

I needed this for my last film and used this workaround: paint any 3rd frame only, then rotate the paper 30°, paint first unpainted frames, rotate 60°, paint anything left. This was good enough to create the illusion of unlimited paper.
I tip my hat to you - I don't know if I could work like that!

I've got a George script working which I will share over in the content section if it proves useful on my current project :D
David
Macbook Pro Retina 15" mid 2014 // 16GB RAM // 1TB SSD // 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 // NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB // OS 10.12.6 (Sierra)

spyderheart

Post by spyderheart » 09 Oct 2018, 17:22

And only after posting that did I notice you are literally tipping your own hat in your avatar photo. Strange!
David