Animation Paper Software

To talk about anything else
schwarzgrau

Animation Paper Software

Post by schwarzgrau » 24 Mar 2014, 21:39

Yesterday I read an article about a new animation software called Animation Paper. It's not even on the market and even if it's available, I guess it will take many years to catch up to the toolset of TVPaint. But I thought it's quite interesting anyways.

Mac OS X 10.13.6 / TVP 11.0.8 PRO / Cintiq 22HD
Mac OS X 10.13.6 / TVP 11.0.8 PRO / Cintiq Companion 2
SCHWARZGRAU.COM

idragosani

Re: Animation Paper Software

Post by idragosani » 25 Mar 2014, 02:55

It's basically a reboot of the old Plastic Animation Paper application that was out a few years ago. It's good for pencil tests and the like, but you still need a app like Photoshop or Gimp for doing layout, inking, coloring, etc.
Brett W. McCoy -- http://www.brettwmccoy.com
TVP Pro 10 : Intel i7 2600 3.4 GHz : 8GB RAM : Ubuntu Studio 14.04 : Cintiq 21UX

schwarzgrau

Post by schwarzgrau » 25 Mar 2014, 03:06

Oh right, I didn't noticed there isn't a fill tool or detailed brush settings on the screenshot of the GUI.
http://animationpaper.com/wp-content/up ... enshot.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But I really like the simple and clean interface.

Edit : image too big
Mac OS X 10.13.6 / TVP 11.0.8 PRO / Cintiq 22HD
Mac OS X 10.13.6 / TVP 11.0.8 PRO / Cintiq Companion 2
SCHWARZGRAU.COM

D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery » 26 Mar 2014, 15:07

schwarzgrau wrote:Oh right, I didn't noticed there isn't a fill tool or detailed brush settings on the screenshot of the GUI.
http://animationpaper.com/wp-content/up ... enshot.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But I really like the simple and clean interface.
There has been quite a bit of "buzz" created about Animation Paper in the last couple of weeks (after having been given a big boost by a free press release from Cartoon Brew the Animation Paper Facebook page has grown to almost 4,000 "Likes" overnight), but from what I can tell there is no software yet . It seems this may be the start of a crowdfunding venture . There is no "simple clean interface" yet , only a proposal . I believe the screenshots on the website are mock-ups of what he intends it to look like , some day ...

I wish him well , but I'm not sure what the market is for this . Digicel Flipbook essentially has everything he's proposing for a "simple" animation program (and actually Digicel Flipbook has a pretty good coloring system, but in my experience Flipbook has always been a bit buggy on Mac and they don't really offer robust tech support for Mac users ... I've had many frustrated students trying to use Flipbook , despite me recommending they get TVPaint ) or there is also the revival of the Pencil open-source software , now called Pencil2D for those who want the clean simple interface and some basic drawing tools to do pencil test animation.

slowtiger

Post by slowtiger » 28 Mar 2014, 21:38

I already wrote this on Cartoonbrew: any new version of this must strongly avoíd the usability nightmare of old PAP.

At the school I teach now they finally have TVP. Before they had PAP and TB Animate. After I demonstrated just a bit of TVP, 1/3 of the students wanted to buy it right away (but have to get the money first).
TVP 10.0.18, Mac Pro Quadcore 3 GHz, 16 GB RAM, OS 10.11, QT 7.7.3

ten_zero

Post by ten_zero » 02 Jul 2014, 03:17

PAP for Mac has begin crowd funding.

One more thing,
Spoiler : Where are you going, RETAS ? :
/* And Celsys, their new vector & bitmap drawing/painting (based technology of Stylos and PAINTMAN) software called "CLIP STUDIO PAINT" deals in edition Français & Versión española (from 15th June) */

Lukas

Post by Lukas » 02 Jul 2014, 12:13

I contributed to his Indiegogo campaign. Mostly because I'm curious to see where this goes. Hopefully he'll get his funding together.
Animation Studio Frame Order | TVPaint 10 Pro 10.5.7 | OS X Mojave / Windows 10 | Cintiq 27QHD Touch

neonnoodle

Post by neonnoodle » 02 Jul 2014, 13:46

Lukas wrote:I contributed to his Indiegogo campaign. Mostly because I'm curious to see where this goes. Hopefully he'll get his funding together.
Same here.

VGmaster9

Post by VGmaster9 » 23 Sep 2020, 22:01

https://animationpaper.com/

Alpha version is now out. Will indeed be an affordable alternative to TVPaint.