"My Dog Tulip" in Paris

Show us your drawings and animation made with the TVPaint technology here !
User avatar
Paul Fierlinger
Posts: 7722
Joined: 03 May 2008, 12:05
Location: Pennsylvania USA
Contact:

"My Dog Tulip" in Paris

Post by Paul Fierlinger » 13 Dec 2010, 15:43

My Dog Tulip is now playing in Paris (but only in English) :( :
http://paris.angloinfo.com/information/ ... ie_id=6400" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Paul
http://www.slocumfilm.com
Desktop PC Win10-Pro -64 bit OS; 32.0 GB RAM
Processor: i7-2600 CPU@3.40GHz
AMD FirePro V7900; Intuos4 Wacom tablet

User avatar
Fabrice
Posts: 10079
Joined: 17 Jul 2007, 15:00
Contact:

Re: Urs_a short film by Moritz Mayerhofer

Post by Fabrice » 13 Dec 2010, 17:25

Paul Fierlinger wrote:My Dog Tulip is now playing in Paris (but only in English) :( :
http://paris.angloinfo.com/information/ ... ie_id=6400" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Argh, too bad we didn't heard about it before. :o We could have posted the new in some french discussion forums !!
Fabrice Debarge

User avatar
ZigOtto
Posts: 4103
Joined: 17 Feb 2006, 22:50
Location: south-Petazonia

Re: Urs_a short film by Moritz Mayerhofer

Post by ZigOtto » 13 Dec 2010, 22:20

Fabrice wrote:
Paul Fierlinger wrote:My Dog Tulip is now playing in Paris (but only in English) :( :
http://paris.angloinfo.com/information/ ... ie_id=6400" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Argh, too bad we didn't heard about it before. :o We could have posted the new in some french discussion forums !!
:? :?: you (or another cow, ...was it Elodie?) have posted the news here about one month ago !

it was screened at the "Forum des Images" last saturday, good screening, english version but french-subtitled, ("the only single copy for the time being, coming from New-York" the man who make the presentation have said, half-full theater, respectuous applauses at the end, the first time I watched the "whole thing" ... good work Paul !
I've particulary enjoyed the little "naïve" sketchy scenes, very funny and well rythmed indeed. :wink:

Elodie
Posts: 13913
Joined: 06 Jan 2009, 09:53
Location: Metz

Re: Urs_a short film by Moritz Mayerhofer

Post by Elodie » 14 Dec 2010, 08:42

ZigOtto wrote:you (or another cow, ...was it Elodie?) have posted the news here about one month ago !
When there are more than 2 =), =D, ^^ etc..., it generally means that it's me :mrgreen:

And no, I don't keep the informations for myself, Fabrice simply forgot the screening :roll:

Btw, why are we talking about this in Urs's topic ? I split it =)

User avatar
Fabrice
Posts: 10079
Joined: 17 Jul 2007, 15:00
Contact:

Re: Urs_a short film by Moritz Mayerhofer

Post by Fabrice » 14 Dec 2010, 12:30

ZigOtto wrote:
Fabrice wrote:
Paul Fierlinger wrote:My Dog Tulip is now playing in Paris (but only in English) :( :
http://paris.angloinfo.com/information/ ... ie_id=6400" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Argh, too bad we didn't heard about it before. :o We could have posted the new in some french discussion forums !!
:? :?: you (or another cow, ...was it Elodie?) have posted the news here about one month ago !

it was screened at the "Forum des Images" last saturday, good screening, english version but french-subtitled, ("the only single copy for the time being, coming from New-York" the man who make the presentation have said, half-full theater, respectuous applauses at the end, the first time I watched the "whole thing" ... good work Paul !
I've particulary enjoyed the little "naïve" sketchy scenes, very funny and well rythmed indeed. :wink:
ok Alzheimer is here ... :roll:

Elodie has posted several topics about Tulip screening in Paris, in some french forums.
Fabrice Debarge

User avatar
Paul Fierlinger
Posts: 7722
Joined: 03 May 2008, 12:05
Location: Pennsylvania USA
Contact:

Re: "My Dog Tulip" in Paris

Post by Paul Fierlinger » 14 Dec 2010, 15:58

I posted this just now because it came up on our Google alert just the day I posted it. Raymond, I'm glad you finally did get a chance to see it and hope you liked it a little better than the book.
Paul
http://www.slocumfilm.com
Desktop PC Win10-Pro -64 bit OS; 32.0 GB RAM
Processor: i7-2600 CPU@3.40GHz
AMD FirePro V7900; Intuos4 Wacom tablet

User avatar
ZigOtto
Posts: 4103
Joined: 17 Feb 2006, 22:50
Location: south-Petazonia

Re: "My Dog Tulip" in Paris

Post by ZigOtto » 14 Dec 2010, 17:16

Paul Fierlinger wrote:I posted this just now because it came up on our Google alert just the day I posted it. Raymond, I'm glad you finally did get a chance to see it and hope you liked it a little better than the book.
I was (one more time) impressed and moved by Sandra's art in coloring and "lighting" some scenes, she's insanely talentuous ... :wink:

User avatar
dogsma
Posts: 259
Joined: 11 May 2008, 13:47
Location: Wynnewood, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: "My Dog Tulip" in Paris

Post by dogsma » 14 Dec 2010, 22:22

THANK YOU RAYMOND.
You are always so kind to me.
I will share some color with you if I can find your email.
Still do not know how to do this forum "Thing". :oops:
Sandra S. Fierlinger

User avatar
ZigOtto
Posts: 4103
Joined: 17 Feb 2006, 22:50
Location: south-Petazonia

Re: "My Dog Tulip" in Paris

Post by ZigOtto » 16 Dec 2010, 01:04

hi Sandra,
I don't think it's a matter of "kindness" from me, I'm just reporting what I have felt when watching some external scenes,
I mean your color's palette and the light rendering are always subtile and full of sensitivity, we can guess the season
and the temperature, and your technic is so fresh and soft, I mean never thick, overdone or too loud .
dogsma wrote:... I will share some color with you if I can find your email.
Still do not know how to do this forum "Thing". :oops:
you can PM me on this forum, (the little PM button below my "wet face" avatar)
or ask for my e-mail address to Master Paul.
:)

User avatar
CartoonMonkey
Posts: 987
Joined: 01 Jun 2007, 18:47
Location: Portland, Oregon
Contact:

Re: "My Dog Tulip" in Paris

Post by CartoonMonkey » 20 Apr 2011, 11:25

Paul, in your coloring of Tulip: How did Sandra achieve soft color? When I'm working with a pressure sensitive brush, or a paper, I can't avoid my background images showing through.
I suppose this question has vexed me since the Aura days come to think of it. I thought you might have some special insight.
question.jpg
question.jpg (86.96 KiB) Viewed 15752 times
C

User avatar
Paul Fierlinger
Posts: 7722
Joined: 03 May 2008, 12:05
Location: Pennsylvania USA
Contact:

Re: "My Dog Tulip" in Paris

Post by Paul Fierlinger » 20 Apr 2011, 11:41

CartoonMonkey wrote:Paul, in your coloring of Tulip: How did Sandra achieve soft color? When I'm working with a pressure sensitive brush, or a paper, I can't avoid my background images showing through.
I suppose this question has vexed me since the Aura days come to think of it. I thought you might have some special insight.
question.jpg
C
I passed your inquiry to the appropriate authority. :|
Paul
http://www.slocumfilm.com
Desktop PC Win10-Pro -64 bit OS; 32.0 GB RAM
Processor: i7-2600 CPU@3.40GHz
AMD FirePro V7900; Intuos4 Wacom tablet

User avatar
dogsma
Posts: 259
Joined: 11 May 2008, 13:47
Location: Wynnewood, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: "My Dog Tulip" in Paris

Post by dogsma » 20 Apr 2011, 13:38

Hi CM
With any transparent layer the layer below it must be painted with an opaque color.
If both boxes are animated I suggest the you use different line layers for each box.
Before making a wash-transparent layer, the layer below that can be filled with your back ground color.
I use many layers below Paul's line drawings but first block out with opaque color. then keeping adding layer upon layer stacking up behind the line. This way you have the advantage of moving the layers in any order. When you're done and all out of space with so many layers just merge them. But I always leave the original line layer alone with no color.
Layer layer Layer..
Does this help?
Sandra
Sandra S. Fierlinger

User avatar
CartoonMonkey
Posts: 987
Joined: 01 Jun 2007, 18:47
Location: Portland, Oregon
Contact:

Re: "My Dog Tulip" in Paris

Post by CartoonMonkey » 20 Apr 2011, 19:27

This helps greatly Sandra, thank you.
Your color work is beautiful, and combined with the animation from Paul, it's two fold.
Thank you for discussing the technique a little bit. Gorgeous work.

C

User avatar
dogsma
Posts: 259
Joined: 11 May 2008, 13:47
Location: Wynnewood, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: "My Dog Tulip" in Paris

Post by dogsma » 20 Apr 2011, 20:53

You are welcome. Sorry I could not expand upon color basics of watercolor. (How to make colors "Sing"). That is something I taught myself when I was a teenager with real paint.
The other approach if you want to keep it really loose is to erase the lines. But line drawing should always be kept as an original, for safety and so you don't paint over your line.
If the background has alot of colors or something passing behind your object you have to choose an opaque base color in the bottom layer of the object and then paint layers going up to your line layer.
If it is a real quickie...Just take the picker and imitate the wash with several "picks" and patch it in, if it a single shot and the corner of the box is too transparent. But I believe whenever you have paper turned on in your brush...it will always be transparent. So pressure should be off too. I don't use papers very often.
That's it. feel free to ask.
Sandra
Sandra S. Fierlinger

User avatar
Fabrice
Posts: 10079
Joined: 17 Jul 2007, 15:00
Contact:

Re: "My Dog Tulip" in Paris

Post by Fabrice » 21 Apr 2011, 09:52

What would be great, (if possible and if you agree) is to use the "drawing recorder panel" when you color Paul's animation.
We would then see how you proceed. :)
Fabrice Debarge

Post Reply