Show actual brush you are working with

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
Post Reply
User avatar
Trumpatrick
Posts: 34
Joined: 06 Dec 2011, 17:22
Contact:

Show actual brush you are working with

Post by Trumpatrick » 08 Dec 2011, 10:04

I have a very weird problem. I would have loved it when TV paint could show the brush you were working with, instead of just a cross, or circle etc. I work on a cintiq and the strange thing is, when I move my pen to my second monitor to do some internetbrowsing or whatever and I come back to TV paint, I can suddenly see my actual brush! When I start to draw with it using my cintiq pen, I can set one line and then the brush preview dissappears again. However, when I draw using my mouse, the brush preview doesn't dissapear and I can keep drawing with it. I can even scale the brush and I see the brush becoming bigger and smaller. Am I overlooking a setting in Tv Paint that makes it possible to always see my brush, or is this a bug of some kind?

User avatar
Paul Fierlinger
Posts: 7722
Joined: 03 May 2008, 12:05
Location: Pennsylvania USA
Contact:

Re: Show actual brush you are working with

Post by Paul Fierlinger » 08 Dec 2011, 10:13

I believe the issue is with pressure. When using the pen it seems to be not possible for the software (any software? I don't know) to dynamically follow the changing size of your brush.
Paul
http://www.slocumfilm.com
Desktop PC Win10-Pro -64 bit OS; 32.0 GB RAM
Processor: i7-2600 CPU@3.40GHz
AMD FirePro V7900; Intuos4 Wacom tablet

User avatar
Trumpatrick
Posts: 34
Joined: 06 Dec 2011, 17:22
Contact:

Re: Show actual brush you are working with

Post by Trumpatrick » 08 Dec 2011, 10:18

Really? That's weird. Photoshop and other drawing programs don't seem to have that problem. So I guess it's just not possible in TV paint, then? Thanks for the quick reply by the way!

User avatar
elmisilhumano
Posts: 1084
Joined: 28 Aug 2006, 20:41
Location: Finland
Contact:

Re: Show actual brush you are working with

Post by elmisilhumano » 08 Dec 2011, 10:24

I got similar bug. I keep my brush as a cross but sometimes after going to other monitor Tvpaint shows it as normal arrow cursor. But if I go up to the menubar it changes to the cross, so it is easily solved.

M.
Mikko Vormala
Piñata

User avatar
Paul Fierlinger
Posts: 7722
Joined: 03 May 2008, 12:05
Location: Pennsylvania USA
Contact:

Re: Show actual brush you are working with

Post by Paul Fierlinger » 08 Dec 2011, 10:25

Sure, you are welcome -- I just hope the reply was correct. :| Someone more technically knowledgeable might have a better explanation.
Paul
http://www.slocumfilm.com
Desktop PC Win10-Pro -64 bit OS; 32.0 GB RAM
Processor: i7-2600 CPU@3.40GHz
AMD FirePro V7900; Intuos4 Wacom tablet

User avatar
Paul Fierlinger
Posts: 7722
Joined: 03 May 2008, 12:05
Location: Pennsylvania USA
Contact:

Re: Show actual brush you are working with

Post by Paul Fierlinger » 08 Dec 2011, 10:40

Mikko, something strange must be going on, because Sandra has a similar bug which is, that often her cursor changes all by itself to another cursor and the only way for her to fix it is to go into Preferences. None of these things happen to me and we both have identical computer setups.
Paul
http://www.slocumfilm.com
Desktop PC Win10-Pro -64 bit OS; 32.0 GB RAM
Processor: i7-2600 CPU@3.40GHz
AMD FirePro V7900; Intuos4 Wacom tablet

User avatar
Fabrice
Posts: 10077
Joined: 17 Jul 2007, 15:00
Contact:

Re: Show actual brush you are working with

Post by Fabrice » 09 Dec 2011, 14:36

I don't know about the dual screen, it's maybe a bug.

But about the shape of the brush, if your brush is linked to pressure, we can not know it's size, and no software can perform this operation.
Photoshop just keep the max size in this situation, while TVPaint is not showing the size.
Fabrice Debarge

User avatar
Trumpatrick
Posts: 34
Joined: 06 Dec 2011, 17:22
Contact:

Re: Show actual brush you are working with

Post by Trumpatrick » 10 Dec 2011, 20:21

Thank you for the explanation Fabrice. I understand what you say about not being able to show the exact size, pressure wise, but this wasn't what I meant. I meant just the way photoshop handles it; if I select a brush size 20, it would be great to see an outline of that brush, so you know what brush you're working with. But what I understand from your reply, it would be technically possible, but the fact that it's not implemented now is a concious decision? Would it be much of a hassle to program it? Because I think it would be an extremely handy feature.

Svengali
Posts: 1300
Joined: 28 Dec 2006, 10:08
Contact:

Re: Show actual brush you are working with

Post by Svengali » 12 Dec 2011, 03:35

This has been discussed before but with search disabled I can't find the thread right now. Anyway, there is a work-around that you might try:

Select any brush or pen which is set to be pressure sensitive. Edit the tool's profile editor settings as follows... (the tool's profile editor is called up by right clicking on the P for the Size option in the tool's profile.) Set the left most curve point to 100 and the very next curve point to 0, then define the rest of the curve as desired. You might also want to do something similar for the Opacity's curve option so that the brush's unpressed appearance starts at full strength.
SH_002 Dec. 11 22.25.jpg
SH_002 Dec. 11 22.25.jpg (11.62 KiB) Viewed 16349 times
In this example, the cursor will show the brush a bit larger than its drawing size under fully depressed pen tip while drawing... For an exact representation of maximum size, set the height of the left most curve point = to the height of the right most curve point if you see what I mean.

Sven

User avatar
dogsma
Posts: 259
Joined: 11 May 2008, 13:47
Location: Wynnewood, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: Show actual brush you are working with

Post by dogsma » 12 Dec 2011, 13:46

Paul Fierlinger wrote:Mikko, something strange must be going on, because Sandra has a similar bug which is, that often her cursor changes all by itself to another cursor and the only way for her to fix it is to go into Preferences. None of these things happen to me and we both have identical computer setups.

My cursor changed to a different cursor again last night > After using the panning / transform/ warp tool in the Main Panel. (TVP Pro 10 on PC)
Sandra S. Fierlinger

User avatar
Fabrice
Posts: 10077
Joined: 17 Jul 2007, 15:00
Contact:

Re: Show actual brush you are working with

Post by Fabrice » 14 Dec 2011, 18:10

Svengali wrote:This has been discussed before but with search disabled I can't find the thread right now. Anyway, there is a work-around that you might try:

Select any brush or pen which is set to be pressure sensitive. Edit the tool's profile editor settings as follows... (the tool's profile editor is called up by right clicking on the P for the Size option in the tool's profile.) Set the left most curve point to 100 and the very next curve point to 0, then define the rest of the curve as desired. You might also want to do something similar for the Opacity's curve option so that the brush's unpressed appearance starts at full strength.
SH_002 Dec. 11 22.25.jpg
In this example, the cursor will show the brush a bit larger than its drawing size under fully depressed pen tip while drawing... For an exact representation of maximum size, set the height of the left most curve point = to the height of the right most curve point if you see what I mean.

Sven
hmmm ... interesting.
ok, we will discuss the question between us anyway.
Fabrice Debarge

gbball
Posts: 36
Joined: 25 Mar 2010, 15:20
Location: Toronto
Contact:

Re: Show actual brush you are working with

Post by gbball » 21 Jan 2012, 17:51

I too had a problem with this...

It's because Tvpaint will show the preview based on the current size of the brush...not the max potential size...

So if you have your brush sized linked to pressure sensitivity, and your minimum pressure set to 0 radius, then you will not see the preview.

I find this to be a problem because sometimes you have no way of know how big your brush is and you end up painting a big blob by accident...

I think it would be ideal to have a brush preview that shows the max and minimum boundaries of the brush at all times.

Also, I've used the workaround shown, but that is not ideal to have to do every time.

-G

Elodie
Posts: 13913
Joined: 06 Jan 2009, 09:53
Location: Metz

Re: Show actual brush you are working with

Post by Elodie » 23 Jan 2012, 08:03

Svengali wrote:This has been discussed before but with search disabled I can't find the thread right now.
=> http://www.tvpaint.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 39&#p46948" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
:D
gbball wrote:I think it would be ideal to have a brush preview that shows the max and minimum boundaries of the brush at all times.
If you are using a connection mode, like the pressure, with a brush of 100 pixels : how should be the display ? 100 pixels ? 75 ? 50 ? 5 ?
As connections usually start at 0, how would we display the minimum boundary ?

User avatar
Mads Juul
Posts: 3992
Joined: 02 May 2007, 19:18
Location: Viborg,Denmark
Contact:

Re: Show actual brush you are working with

Post by Mads Juul » 23 Jan 2012, 08:07

Trumpatrick wrote:Thank you for the explanation Fabrice. I understand what you say about not being able to show the exact size, pressure wise, but this wasn't what I meant. I meant just the way photoshop handles it; if I select a brush size 20, it would be great to see an outline of that brush, so you know what brush you're working with. But what I understand from your reply, it would be technically possible, but the fact that it's not implemented now is a concious decision? Would it be much of a hassle to program it? Because I think it would be an extremely handy feature.
+1
Mads Juul
Storyboard Artist
blog: http://mjstoryboard.blogspot.dk/
Mail: mjstoryboard@gmail .com

Windows 10, 64 bit i7-4790 CPU 4.00 Hz,32 GB RAM, With TVP Animation 11 Pro (11.0.2-64bits)
2 Monitors 1920X1080 pixels + 1 Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2

User avatar
Sewie
Posts: 1259
Joined: 18 Jun 2008, 11:57
Location: The Netherlands, Europe
Contact:

Re: Show actual brush you are working with

Post by Sewie » 23 Jan 2012, 08:57

+1
Michael Sewnarain - Website
Windows 10/64b - TVP11.0.8 - Pro/64b - Cintiq24HD

Post Reply