Making sheet for people working in another software Topic is solved

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
Janet Perlman

Re: Making sheet for people working in another software

Post by Janet Perlman » 05 Jan 2018, 16:37

Excellent. I will have to wait until next week to try it. Thank you!

D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery » 05 Jan 2018, 16:58

Janet Perlman wrote:
05 Jan 2018, 16:37
Excellent. I will have to wait until next week to try it. Thank you!
I have to admit , the thing baffles me ! I really don't understand the logic of it. I started looking at it again when I saw your post and I remembered that I also have times where it might be useful to print out an "X-sheet" version of my timeline . There's no tutorial for using this tool as far as I know. I'd be very interested to see how it's actually supposed to work in real production usage.

There was an early version of it that I recall seeing screen shots where it differentiated between Keys and Inbetweens by showing Keys as CIRCLED frame on the columns and Inbeteweens as a black (dot) symbol , which was kind of useful , but that doesn't seem to have carried over to the released version with TVPaint 11.0.8. All drawings whether Keys or Inbetweens are denoted by an X on the columns , showing how many frames it is exposed . (unless I'm using it completely wrong , which is a very real possibility ...)

I searched out the earlier discussion, so you can have a look at what it was like then (this was from January20, 2016) : https://forum.tvpaint.com/viewtopic.php ... 63&p=92855

The formatting of the sheet looked better to me in that earlier version.

-----

EDIT: ok, upon rereading that earlier discussion more closely, I see at least one major thing I've been doing WRONG --- before generating the sheet it is first necessary to MARK the Keys with Image Marks. Otherwise it will show the drawing as simply an X on the sheet. Then after the inbetweens are completed the inbetween frames should have Image Marks assigned .

I hope someone from the development team can step in to explain this better, maybe with a video tutorial.

Here's a simple example with only three layers:

Anim - A
Anim- B
BG

My keys on Anim layer A are 1 , 9, 17, 27 and are given a RED image mark .
My keys on Anim layer B are 1 , 9, 13, 21 and given a BLUE image mark.
Screen Shot 2018-01-05 at 12.17.15 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2018-01-05 at 12.17.15 PM.jpg (92.43 KiB) Viewed 123 times
(although notice there are actually 5 layers in the layer stack : I added two blank layers with no name as "spacers" between layer A and layer B and between layer B and the BG layer
so it wouldn't be quite a cramped when rendered to the sheet . That sort of worked, but sort of didn't , it still looks cramped to me.)

Click on the button in the Timesheet panel that says Timesheet Key and it generates a sheet showing the keys only , with missing
inbetween frames as X's .

inbetweens will be filled in and image marked in the next step.

Now let's say I have gone back in and added the inbetween frames on Anim layer A - 3, 5, 7 , 11, 13, 15 , 19, 21, 23, 25
and inbetween frames on Anim layer B - 11, 15, 17, 19 (1 is held for 8 frames , 21 is held for 8 frames on layer B)
Image Mark colors assigned to the inbetween frames.

Then click on the button in the Timesheet panel that says Timesheet Inbetweens and it redraws the sheet to add a new set of
columns to the right of the first set , showing the inbetween frames which have been added .
Timesheet_test_v2.jpg
[click to see it larger]

So this is now behaving more like I would expect from an "X-sheet" ... BUT some issues remain for me, namely the spacing is too cramped. The font sizes used for the layer names, the drawing numbers , the "Dialog" and "Camera" columns all render too large for the space they are intended to be contained in , so readability is an issue. The red circle placed around the drawings designated as KEYS is a good idea, but the circle is too small compared to the font size used. Perhaps this is an issue on my end , my default fonts are set too large or something ? I don't know . Again, I'd be curious to see how this works for someone else . I feel confused when trying to use this tool. Really, in my professional experience, there's nothing more logical and elegant than an X-sheet . It should be clearly legible . This tool is a step in the right direction, I can see it being useful, but it still needs refinement in my opinion. (or else I need a swift kick in the pants and someone to tell me what I'm doing wrong when I try to use it , if this confusion is just me being an idiot) .

It seems to work better if you do NOT give the instance name's a Prefix letter(s). Not quite so cramped-
Timesheet_test_v3.jpg
In this case with the single Background image did I name the instance as "BG" , so it would show up clearly on the sheet . The layers are simply named A - B - C (the BG is on layer C).
Of course the way this currently works the TVPaint timesheet has rendered the layer ordering as : C - B - A , but you just have to do the mental gymnastics to reverse the standard ordering and realize that on this sheet the lowest layer is the first one on the left and the topmost layer is the last one on the right . (to my way of thinking that order should be reversed to read from left-to-right , but this is what is for now ...) .

By the way, this PRINTS nice and easy, from File Menu > Print . :D

--------

It gets unreadable when you move from two-digit numbers to three-digit numbers. It seems like the font size should adjust automatically to resize itself to fit inside the available space on the timesheet instead of everything getting smooshed together into an unreadable mess. This can't be right ? Someone from TVPaint tell me what I'm doing wrong here :?: :?: :?: :?:
Timesheet_test_with_three-digit-numbers.jpg
------

Ok, now look at this next image . I went back to the discussion from last year -- https://forum.tvpaint.com/viewtopic.php ... 63&p=92855 -- and downloaded the Timesheet v 7.5 that Thierry uploaded in that thread. When I use the Timesheet v 7.5 I get much better results . Look at it: this sheet is neatly rendered and legible. (yes, the numbers are smaller , as they must be to fit inside the small squares , but this is much better than having larger numbers smooshed together in a space that is too small to contain them) So now I'm wondering: is there possibly a BUG in the current version of Timesheet included by default in version 11.0.8 ?
Timesheet_older_version_with_3-digit_numbers.jpg
MAC OS 10.11.6 , Macbook Pro Retina 15-inch, Mid 2015,
2.5 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB Memory , TVPaint PRO 11.0.6, 64bit -
Wacom Cintiq 21 UX - Wacom Intuos Pro 5 - driver version 6.3.20-8